Mirror & LB
• Buy On-line
Home >> Products >> ThinPATH PC FAC
ThinPATH PC Family Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The following table provides the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the ThinPATH PC family of products. Questions Answers
- How does my PC need to be configured prior to being managed by the ThinPATH Portal?
The PC needs to have ThinPATH PC installed.
- Does my PC need to be on a local area network (LAN) with the ThinPATH Portal server or can it access the ThinPATH Portal over a WAN?
The PC does not need to be on a LAN. The network traffic is based on Microsoft’s IIS, which uses port 80 of the network, the standard port for all regular web browser traffic.
- Can the ThinPATH Portal manage a PC that is across the internet with a different ISP?
Yes, since the product uses the same path as standard web traffic.
- Does my firewall need to be configured to allow the server to manage a PC?
By default the ThinPATH PC accesses the ThinPATH Portal server via port 80. The firewall would need to allow this access.
- Can I access the local devices on my PC from a Windows server session?
This capability is dependent on the Citrix ICA or Microsoft RDP client being used. ThinPATH PC does not restrict this feature. If companies want to prohibit this access, they need to restrict this on the application server.
- How is the software licensed? ThinPATH PC is licensed on a per desktop basis. The ThinPATH Portal controls the delivery of a license key to each desktop. ThinPATH Portal software is provided to manage ThinPATH PC licenses and push out software updates.
- What does the ThinPATH Portal Access License enable? It allows the ThinPATH Portal server to managed the individual settings of ThinPATH PC devices. Without this license you can only use ThinPATH Portal server to manages licenses and software updates for ThinPATH PC devices.
- What does the ThinPATH PC License enable? It allows the ThinPATH Portal server to push a license to a ThinPATH PC devices. Without this license the ThinPATH PC device will operate in an evaluation mode.
- What is ThinPATH PC? It is software component installed on a Windows operatiing system that converts a PC into a Thin Client Windows Based Terminal like device, allowing it to be easilylocked down and managed by the ThinPATH Portal server.
- What is ThinPATH Portal Server? It is a software component installed on a Windows Server operatiing system that is used to manage the ThinPATH PC Devices and Tisio 96 CE Thin client devices on the network. It is also used to managed the licensing components for ThinPATH PC Suite and install new software components on ThinPATH PC and Tisio 96 CE devices..
- What is a ThinPATH PC Suite? ThinPATH PC Suit combines the ThinPATH PC, ThinPATH Portal, and ThinPATH Mirror licenses into one for a discounted price and convenience. ThinPATH
PC Suite datasheet
- How do I install ThinPATH PC? ThinPATH PC is initially installed using the local Internet Explorer browser. Users that have Administrative rights and know the URL to the ThinPATH Portal server can initiate the simple, One Click install. Internet Explora 5.5 or above is required using the One Click Install. There is also a single install file that can be used for installation if you do not want to install through the browser.
- How long does it take for the ThinPATH PC installation and the PC to appear as a thin client? This process takes about 2 minutes for a PC that is on a typical local area network.
- How quickly is a PC subsequently updated by the ThinPATH Portal? The PC will communicate with the ThinPATH Portal during boot. Typically there is a brief exchange of configuration information that will not be noticeable by the user during the boot process. If new software updates are presented to the desktop by the Portal, this may take a minute to install the new packages.
- How does a user initiate the PC management process? This process can be initiated by having the user reboot the PC or the administrator can reboot the ThinPATH PC from the ThinPATH Portal.
- Does the user need administration privileges to install the software? Administrative rights on a PC are required to install ThinPATH PC.
- Can I run other local PC applications? Yes. ThinPATH PC allows the registration of any locally installed PC applications that can be added to the application selection list or Connection Manager window. Applications must be either of type .EXE or .BAT. By default, the RDP, ICA, and Internet Explorer applications are available as local applications.
- Is my PCs hard disk reformatted during the software installation process? No.
- What terminal emulator can I use on my PC? You can access any terminal emulator from your PC. Either the user can configure locally (if allowed) or the administrator needs to configure the ThinPATH Portal and ThinPATH PC to allow the application to be presented to the user on the ThinPATH PC desktop.
- How are updates to Citrix ICA, Microsoft Terminal Services (RDP) clients, or the ThinPATH PC software provided to the managed PCs? When the PC is rebooted, it will poll the server for any needed software updates. If the desktop determines they are needed, they will be installed.
- What is the best way for Windows applications to print from the server to the ThinPATH PC? Printing to the ThinPATH PC is managed in the same way as before. We recommend that users print to dedicated network printers rather than printers attached directly to desktops. Printing to desktop via ICA or RDP slows the desktop display speed since the print data will monopolize a portion of network traffic that would be used for desktop display.
- Can I attach local USB or serial devices to the ThinPATH PC? Yes, Support is offered via the native RDP, ICA client and local USB drivers or our ThinPATH Plus software.
- How do I keep a user from inadvertently reconfiguring their PC? ThinPATH PC is designed to limit user access to PC configuration information and programs. First, the user must know how to start the configuration process. Since ThinPATH PC has removed a desktop link to Control Panel and substituted a special keyboard sequence, many users would be initially blocked. Security can be fully restricted by the addition of local passwords and restricted access to configuration programs. The access control system can be automatically applied to all desktops from the ThinPATH Portal server.
- Can I return my PC to its original state? If so, what is involved? Yes. ThinPATH PC is designed to be disabled or enabled without disrupting the preexisting windows desktop. Complete instructions are included in the supplied Start Up Guide.
- How will the PC desktop appear after the installation of ThinPATH PC? ThinPATH PC installs a new desktop that presents the user with a list of server-based applications or web connections. The desktop can be either a Windows like UI (default) or a Windows Based Terminal style UI. By default, users can add in additional entries if they know the server name and some basic information about the application. This feature can be restricted with a security setting in ThinPATH PC or it can be deployed to all desktops from the ThinPATH Portal.
- What ThinPATH PC settings can be managed by the ThinPATH Portal? ThinPATH Portal server populates the desktop with application selections. It also centralizes the security policies granted to the users.
- Can I give different users on the same ThinPATH PC differing local capabilities? No. Each ThinPATH PC desktop has configured connections created by the Administrator. These connections may include Microsoft RDP and Citrix ICA clients as well as an Internet Explorer browser. Each user that accesses that desktop will have the same connections available. ThinPATH PCs are managed as a device, not per user. Server-based connections such as Citrix”s Program Neighborhood could be used for providing individual connections.
- What are the Internet Explorer capabilities after the installation of ThinPATH PC? Either a fully locked down, full-screen browser window can be used to provide user access to your company”s networked applications or a traditional browser window can be used where administrators can restrict some Internet Explorer options such as disallowing files to be saved to the local drives. The Internet Explorer Administration Kit from Microsoft can be used in conjunction with ThinPATH PC to provide all other lock down options.
- Can a ThinPATH PC download JAVA or Active X controls while being managed? Yes, users can continue to access web sites that provide content with browser extensions.
- How are policies for cookies and other desktop resident data elements managed? ThinPATH PC does not infringe on the Internet Explorer policies in this area. We suggest that companies augment the ThinPATH Portal with the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) for specific IE requirements.
- How can I test the software for myself ? You can download a free trial of the software from here: .
Download ThinPATH PC Evaluation Software
Note: ThinPATH PC is bundled with ThinPATH Portal Installation package